Friday, February 08, 2013

Happy Friday Numbers Day!

I love statistics. You know you do too, and now that I have admitted it, you can feel free to indulge in that greatest of nerdy pleasures. Two studies of interest popped up this week. The first was a big meta study analyzing various research on gender differences. As it turns out, we are not so different, at least not nearly as different as current popular culture would have it seem. Now if I could just get clothing and children's toys manufacturers to read this study.

If anyone read that one book* by Malcolm Whatshisname about statistics, you will recall there was a chapter about crime rates dropping in NYC. Out came more research that proved that there was no statistical correlation between the initiatives taken to reduce crime and actual impact on crime. More likely than not it was just good economy affording people better options than crime.


* I am aware that I could look all this up on the internets in a minute but I like to think this is what makes this blog unique in the blogosphere, my total lack of using trillions of referential data at my finger tips. And I am lazy.

6 comments:

Rob said...

I believe videogames were solely responsible for the drop in crime - all the criminals stayed home and played Final Fantasy VII instead

Dad said...

And it might be that a significant portion of what is on the internet has not attributes to source material whatsoever...unlike most serious books.

Lauren said...

Nope, I don't like statistics, never have, never will. And people use them without context far too often, which annoys me. And I am sick and grumpy, so I will apologize in advance for my surliness.

alexis said...

Lauren, that sucks! That time of the month.

Lauren said...

Well, I don't know about 'time of the month', so much as 'time of the year'! Lily goes to preschool and is just a petri dish of disease.

Josh said...

You know, 95% of all surliness is brought on by lack of sleep.