Friday, August 30, 2013

End of Stomping... Er I mean an Era

Every night we are serenaded with the sounds of stomping. I think I mentioned this once before, but right next to our flat is a studio for hire. This means there are not always classes but that dancers and yoga instructors can hire the space to give classes. All summer we have enjoyed Flamenco. I am quite impressed with how good the students have gotten over the weeks. I think the session is now nearly over, and I'll miss the rhythmic staccato of their feet.

I actually took flamenco lessons for a heart beat as a student studying in Spain. We were in a tiny class of total 6 women, me and some other students. The three older women had clearly been taking lessons since they were born, even though the class was supposedly a beginner class. Or maybe it was just because we were gringos and had no rhythm. In any case, we simply couldn't keep up. Our instructor was an enthusiastic to the point of painfulness Gypsy man. Short and high tempered, he would jump up and down as we consistently f'd up the steps. I recall thinking he might get so mad one day he would up and vanish like Rumple Stiltskin. Anyways, I enjoyed the time but didn't stick with it, in favor of other pasttimes like drinking. But I still have a fond place in my heart for this particular form of dance.

2 comments:

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Oh man, I think that would drive me nuts! Sometimes I can hear my neighbor kids from two floors up and it's never a positive experience. Of course, they aren't trying to be rhythmic.

Dad said...

I really like Flamenco but worry that my uber sensitive ears would not tolerate it any longer.