Thursday, September 05, 2013

New Jobs - less fun bits

One thing I knew would be something I liked less about the new job is the increased exposure to politics and issues of territory. I don't like to talk too much about these kinds of things on the great open web, but let us say that I wish things were a little more harmonious. When someone makes a change like this it shifts things around and of course that impacts others in both ways they see as positive and negative.

I absolutely expected it because we are all humans and this is how we react in an organization. I am also pretty sure that things will settle down quickly. Well I hope. The most important thing is for me to stay focused on what I am doing and why I'm doing it. I made the move because I was excited to learn a new skill set, amongst other reasons. The politics are not so bad that they will derail this goal. If I can stay zen about the growing pains, even somewhat, it will be an enormous learning experience as well. There is so much in life that can get under your skin, but you should save your energy for times when it is important to stake a claim. 

2 comments:

Amy said...

Totally--you are launching into a brave new world, so don't sweat the small stuff. Try when you can to take a step back whenever this happens and look at what happens, over time, to people who get sucked into crap like that--do they look healthy? happy? I had a similar experience at work today--finding myself in the middle of a lot of finger pointing about a hairy situation. You can either let it get you down or acknowledge that the situation is shitty, do what you can to mitigate the effects, and shake it off after you've done your best and move on. Remember the golden rule of happy dutchies: work is what we do so that we can do what we want when we're not at work :)

Dad said...

And there is pretty much this kind of stuff in every single type of work. Nothing is perfect.