Thursday, December 05, 2013

Your Traditions Change

Today is Sinterklaas. I am tremendously proud that our creche has decided to buck to take a big risk in conservative Netherlands and have multi-colored Petes. Sinterklaas is traditionally accompanied by his Petes, who are depicted in blackface. I am not cool with this. There, I've said it. I respect this is how it rolls in the country that graciously hosts me, so I don't make a big deal out of it.

But I would respectfully put forth that traditions change. It also amuses me to think about traditional cuisines of Europe that have actually only been around since America was "discovered". Tomatoes, potatoes, all "new world" foods. Things change very fast now. Maybe too fast for our primitives brains. But they can change and feel like they always were.

So it makes it a lot easier for me to integrate this tradition to our lives.

2 comments:

Dad said...

I'm interested in the feedback the creche owner gets on this.

Mom said...

Yes - that would be interesting. I think I still have the black doll you gave me years ago!